The Y Lift – Liquid Facelift and Volume Enhancement
The Y Lift® is a minimally invasive facial contouring procedure, designed to add volume and lift to the cheekbone areas and under eyes areas, give definition to the chin and jawline, and contour the upper neck.The process is quick, painless, and relatively convenient, thus putting it in the category of other minimally invasive procedures such as liquid facelifts and “lunch-time” facelifts.
Both male and female patients of any age can benefit from the Y Lift®, and results can last anywhere between 1-3 years.
As we age, we lose youthful volume that keeps our faces looking perky, plump and supple. The skin loses its elasticity and begins to wrinkle and sag, making us look tired and much older than we actually feel.
This general “collapse” or sagging that occurs around the face can be attributed to volume loss, but it is also attributed to the fact that the facial bone structure actually shrinks as we get older. This phenomenon has long been understood by dentists who know based on study and experience that losing teeth can result in the shrinkage of certain areas of one’s jawbone. Evidence of facial bone shrinkage, however, was a more recent discovery.
The Y Lift®
The Y Lift® is a minimally invasive facial contouring procedure, designed to add volume and lift to the cheekbone areas and under eyes areas, give definition to the chin and jawline, and contour the upper neck. The process is quick, painless, and relatively convenient, thus putting it in the category of other minimally invasive procedures such as liquid facelifts and “lunch-time” facelifts.
The procedure is performed without making any incisions and without the use of general anesthesia—just a local anesthetic in the specific areas of the face. Patients are fully awake during the entire procedure. The entire process takes about 15-30 minutes to complete and results can be seen immediately after the procedure.
Since this is such a minimally invasive method, there is no downtime involved and the most you can expect after the treatment is some very minor swelling and bruising. In fact, most patients are able to work or go out and resume their daily activities even after just having the procedure done, hence the reason why it is called the “Lunch-time Lift”.
According to studies, women are more prone to losing their facial bone structure earlier, most occurring in their early 40s, while men see this same type of bone loss 10 to 15 years later. When the facial bone structure begins to shrink, skin loses that important framework that keeps it in place, thus bringing about that wrinkled, saggy, and sunken look.
Indeed, this is the natural process of aging, and it happens to everyone, but why settle for looking tired when you can look as good as you feel?
How is the Y Lift performed?
- Traditionally, fillers are placed in the layer of dermis as well as below the dermis. Since this is soft tissue, only a small amount of filler can be added. Placing more filler for more volume often results in an unnatural look – not a youthful one. Placing too much filler often gives the face a pillowy, puffy, and stretched look.
- With the Y Lift®, filler is placed at a much deeper level with a more solid foundation than soft tissue – the facial bone structure and muscle layer.
- A blunt cannula is used to place a significant amount of filler in the deeper levels of the face, while achieving a natural and youthful look.
- With deeper placement, the Y Lift creates a lifting effect to the face, something that traditional filler placement could never do. The deep placement of filler to lift soft tissue and add more volume is the foundation for the concept called “structural volumizing”.
- Following a thorough assessment and examination, the patient’s face is prepped, sanitized, and numbed with a light local anesthesia for the procedure.
- A specially-designed titanium instrument, resembling a needle, is the main device used to perform the Y Lift®. This instrument is inserted deep beneath the skin, past the dermis and muscle, where it is then manipulated throughout specific areas of the face. By doing this, an instant lift and contouring of the muscles and fat under the skin occurs instantly.
- A hyaluronic acid-based filler (which also happens to be made up of a substance that is naturally produced in the body) is then released into that same area in order to hold or keep the lift in place.
- The instrument is then removed from the face, and the area is then manually contoured or sculpted to ensure that the filler is not only smoothly and properly in place, but is also placed in such a way that it accentuates the natural features of the patient.
- The Y Lift® makes use of no incisions, no stitches, and no general anesthesia.
The Y Lift method for specific areas of the face
Dr. Prasad applies the techniques used for Y Lift® to treat specific areas of the face such as the cheeks (Cheek Lift), chin (Non surgical chin augmentation), and jawline.
We often hear about various ways to describe the ideal facial features, such as the classic oval face”, “heart-shaped face”, and “apple cheeks”. However, despite all these different descriptions that seemingly connote different aspects of what makes facial features beautiful, there is actually only one underlying denominator that all these descriptions have: a smoothly defined mandibular angle and chin.
The ideal facial structure is illustrated by 4 factors:
- A well-defined mandibular angle that shapes the rear of the facial shape.
- An elongated, straight mandible that serves as the basis of a young-looking face.
- A tapered and prominent chin that accentuates the frontal portion of the face.
- A streamlined angle between the highest point of the cheek (near the temples), all the way down to the mandible.
With such a multitude of different types of beautiful faces and features, a sharply-defined chin and jawline is what unites them all. In fact, it is precisely this feature that makes up almost ¾ of our facial structure and is what gives it definition and balance. Notice how a weak chin or jaw takes away from one’s appearance, making one look older.
Over the years, people have undergone pain and discomfort, risked infection and complications, and endured long periods of downtime in the pursuit of this sought-after feature. Fortunately, it can now be attained without even needing to make a single incision on your face.
Dr. Amiya Prasad — A Licensed Provider of the Y Lift® in New York
Dr. Amiya Prasad was the first amongst a small group of accredited Y Lift® providers who had received special training directly from Dr. Yan Trokel himself. As such, this means Dr. Prasad has been practicing the Y Lift techniques and procedures the longest, second only to its founder, Dr. Trokel. As a Cosmetic Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon with experience spanning 20 years with practices in Manhattan and Garden City, Dr. Prasad is well-known for excellence in cosmetic surgery.
Often referred to as an “artist with a syringe”, Dr. Prasad is sought out by patients from all over the world for his delicate and artistic approach to non surgical procedures. His stringent attention to detail, coupled with a discerning eye for aesthetics makes Dr. Prasad exceptional at producing natural-looking results for his patients.
As a specialist in facelift surgery, Dr. Prasad’s knowledge of the deep anatomy of the face has made a significant impact on his unique style of performing Y Lift®.
Make an Appointment for a Y Lift® Today!
The Y Lift® is considered one of the leading facial contouring and skin treatments today, largely due to the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, as well as the long lasting results it yields.
We invite you to make an appointment today at Dr. Prasad’s Manhattan or Garden City, Long Island office. We welcome patients from all over the world and we are excited to show you the Y Lift® difference.
Commonly asked questions
How much is a facelift cost?
The term refers to a range of procedure, full facelift, short scar facelift and/or neck lift. It is also often associated with volume enhancement methods with fillers or eyelift surgery to remove eye bags if necessary. The cost is determined individually, depending on the extent and type of facelift procedure, and accompanying procedures. Insurance does not cover any costs related to facelift or any cosmetic surgery. Contact our patient coordinator to arrange your consultation.
Are there any facelift alternatives?
Many “revolutionary” procedures and devices claim to be produce facelift results without surgery. They do not. Clever (and expensive) marketing combined with manipulated photos and persuasive testimonials have resulted in many people wasting money time and even be worse off than when they started. The latest laser and heating devices can tighten skin, but exceeding a safe amount of exposure to the skin in attempt to replace surgical lifting can damage and thin the skin, and also compromise the health of the essential fat layer beneath the skin responsible for youthful suppleness.
We do offer the Vampire Facelift® and the Y Lift®, but these procedures do not replace surgical facelifting. The Vampire Facelift® using a hyaluronic acid filler and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) does have a moderate outward lifting effect, but it still meant for patients in their 30s and 40s who are not yet candidates for a surgical facelift. The procedure is more of subtle volume enhancement and skin quality improvement. The Y Lift® is a deep volume enhancing procedure, where the placement of cosmetic fillers on bone and underneath the muscle lifts skin away from bone structure, but it does not vertically lift skin, or tighten soft tissue. The Y Lift® is also a procedure meant for people who are still too young to be candidates for a facelift as skin and soft tissue laxity is not yet their major issue, but volume loss is their primary concern.
Can I do something before I schedule my facelift?
Yes. With the understanding that a non-surgical procedure does not replace a properly performed facelift, Dr. Prasad will customize a solution which can help you look better. Some of these non-invasive procedures include the Vampire Facelift®, the Y Lift®, facial fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Radiesse, and wrinkle treatments like Botox® or Dysport®. During consultation, Dr. Prasad will help guide you with the options best suited for you.